Re: nfs3 problem with -rc{2,3}

From: Myklebust, Trond
Date: Mon Jun 18 2012 - 09:42:33 EST

On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 21:07 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> I'm seeing problems writing to shared directories mounted as nfs3.
> Wondering if anyone else is seeing similar problems ?
>
> I noticed this last week with -rc2 (my first new kernel since
> 3.4.0), but haven't managed to find a minimal test case to replicate
> it.
>
> The first problem was with firefox - I use it to download tarballs
> and patches to a shared /sources. The first download worked, maybe
> also another, but some time later one stalled and firefox stopped
> refreshing its window. Looked as if it successfully created
> packagename.tar.gz.part, but with an empty packagename.tar.gz.
>
> I killed firefox, then I used wget to download to a local filesystem
> and then tried to cp it to the shared /sources - cp hung indefinitely,
> apparently after completing the transfer.
>
> At this time I tried to run a script *in* /sources which hung
> trying to rm a file [ worked fine when I killed it, ssh'd to the
> server, and ran it locally ].
>
> I've also got regular backup scripts which wrap rsync writes to a
> different writable directory on the server. These stall with -rc2
> and -rc3, and get killed by SIGINT when I eventually reboot or shut
> down.
>
> I tried using only the rsync command and playing with just an rsync
> of a single file in a directory, but that doesn't provoke the
> problem. I've also tried various attempts to cp or move a file
> to the shared directory, but again without problems. It seems that
> things are fine until something provokes the problem, then all
> updates stall. This makes it a bit hard to get a reliable and
> simple testcase.
>
> I suppose I'll have to start to bisect using the backup script as
> my test case (booted rc2 earlier, did nothing except ssh and allow
> fcron to run it - it stalled. built rc3, booted that, fcron tried
> to run the incomplete backup, again it has stalled).
>
> Config from rc2 attached, any suggestions are welcome.

Is this a problem with the client or with the server, and have you tried
seeing if the fixes that were merged into -rc3 help?

Cheers
Trond

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer

NetApp
Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx
www.netapp.com

¢éì®&Þ~º&¶¬–+-±éÝ¥Šw®žË±Êâmébžìdz¹Þ)í…æèw*jg¬±¨¶‰šŽŠÝj/êäz¹ÞŠà2ŠÞ¨è­Ú&¢)ß«a¶Úþø®G«éh®æj:+v‰¨Šwè†Ù>Wš±êÞiÛaxPjØm¶Ÿÿà -»+ƒùdš_