Re: pm runtime and system suspend resume

From: chao xie
Date: Wed Jun 20 2012 - 21:31:43 EST

2012/6/20 Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> > What source file is that function in?
>> >

>> The function is located at drivers/base/power/main.c

>> > It sounds wrong.  Why would a suspend routine do that?
>> >

>> I do knot know, but the code is there.
>
> Okay, now I understand your question.  The problem is that system
> suspend uses a separate mechanism from runtime suspend, and we don't
> want the two things to happen at the same time.  Therefore
> __device_suspend does a get_noresume in order to prevent runtime
> suspend from occurring in the middle of a system suspend.

>> > You must not do that.  If you do, your driver will hang.
>> >

>> why it will hang?
>
> Sorry, I misunderstood your question.  It will not hang.  But why do
> you want to add those calls?

> No, don't call pm_runtime_suspend.  Just call your driver's
> runtime_suspend routine directly.  Same for resume.
>
>> Finally the real question is who will deal with the dev->pm_domain?
>> when system go to sleep.
>
> The __device_suspend routine in drivers/base/main.c uses
> dev->pm_domain.

I check the code, __device_suspend will invoke dev->pm_domain->ops
first if dev->pm_domain is not NULL.
Taking "suspend" as esample, i can do the following things in the
dev->pm_domain->ops->suspend
1. invoke dev->driver->pm->suspend for suspending the device
2. do what we do in dev->pm_domain->ops->runtime_suspend for
suspending the surrounded logic, for example, shutdown the phy or
clocks.
So is above implementation fine?