Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree(powerpc related)

From: Michael Ellerman
Date: Thu Jun 21 2012 - 01:35:58 EST

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 17:50 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> allyesconfig) failed like this:
>
> powerpc64-linux-ld: arch/powerpc/net/built-in.o: In function `bpf_slow_path_word':
> (.text+0x90): sibling call optimization to `skb_copy_bits' does not allow automatic multiple TOCs; recompile with -mminimal-toc or -fno-optimize-sibling-calls, or make `skb_copy_bits' extern

Those seem to be caused because we don't have a nop after the call,
meaning we can't patch the TOC pointer on the way back. Adding a nop
fixes those.

But, then I get 32,410 variants of this:

powerpc64-linux-ld: /src/next/net/openvswitch/vport-netdev.c:189:(.text+0x89b990):
sibling call optimization to `_restgpr0_28' does not allow automatic multiple TOCs;
recompile with -mminimal-toc or -fno-optimize-sibling-calls, or make `_restgpr0_28' extern

And those are generated calls so I don't see how we can fix them.

> I started building with gcc 4.6.3/binutils 2.22 today. gcc
> 4.6.0/binutils 2.21 do not produce this error, it produces this instead
> (which has been happening for a long time):
>
> powerpc64-linux-ld: TOC section size exceeds 64k

So presumably there's some new error checking that we're hitting, I
imagine it was always broken, but now it's being more explicit.

I think we need some help from the toolchain experts, hi Alan :)

cheers