Re: [RFC/PATCHSET 0/8] perf tools: Minimal build without libelfdependency (v2)

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Fri Jun 22 2012 - 11:05:13 EST

Hi Peter,

2012-06-22 (ê), 11:47 +0200, Peter Zijlstra:
> On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 14:37 +0900, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> > And then I realized that the perf record needs to know about the
> > build-id's anyway. :( So I implemented a poor man's version of elf
> > parser only for parsing the build-id info.
>
> Why? the very first versions didn't know about any of that nonsense :-)
> It works just fine as long as you don't go change binaries around.
>
> That said, you did the work already, so no objection, just saying
> builtids aren't that important.

I'm not sure I understood you correctly. But 'perf record' needs to know
about the build-id's to save them to perf.data for 'perf report' later.
And 'perf archive' also needs to know about them to select necessary
binaries for the session.

--
Regards,
Namhyung Kim