Re: Custom kernel version numbers

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jun 22 2012 - 22:55:17 EST

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 08:25:30AM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
> Is there a general rule against giving a version number to a custom
> kernel if credit is given to the base kernel version?

You have the code, you can number it however you want.

But, if you want others to have some clue as to what kernel you are
running for whatever reason (support, community help with problems,
etc.) I would recommend using the kernel.org release numbers and adding
onto that like all of the major Linux distros do already.

What were you thinking of numbering your kernel?

greg k-h