Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86, cpufeature: Rename X86_FEATURE_DTS toX86_FEATURE_DTHERM

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sun Jun 24 2012 - 16:40:01 EST

On 06/24/2012 12:49 PM, Jean Delvare wrote:

This conflict went into mainline via the hwmon tree without any x86
maintainer ack, and without any kind of hint in the subject.

a4659053 x86/hwmon: fix initialization of coretemp

All 3 x86 maintainers were Cc'd, none commented. And you know fairly
well why the patch went through the hwmon tree. So please stop the
finger-pointing. It's unfortunate that it happened, but it did, and we
try to fix it now, period.

It isn't about finger-pointing, it is about a failure of process; we had a process that would have caught this problem and the process failed. There are certainly blame enough to go around, but I think one of the things here is that lack of response isn't necessary an ACK - it may actually be that the patch looked at first glance like it had no impact on our area (incorrectly as it turned out.)

-hpa