Re: RFC: Easy-Reclaimable LRU list

From: Glauber Costa
Date: Tue Jun 26 2012 - 04:09:53 EST

On 06/26/2012 04:12 AM, Minchan Kim wrote:
On 06/25/2012 05:46 PM, Glauber Costa wrote:

On 06/19/2012 09:49 AM, Minchan Kim wrote:
Hi everybody!

Recently, there are some efforts to handle system memory pressure.

1) low memory notification - [1]
2) fallocate(VOLATILE) - [2]
3) fadvise(NOREUSE) - [3]

For them, I would like to add new LRU list, aka "Ereclaimable" which
is opposite of "unevictable".
Reclaimable LRU list includes_easy_ reclaimable pages.
For example, easy reclaimable pages are following as.

1. invalidated but remained LRU list.
2. pageout pages for reclaim(PG_reclaim pages)
3. fadvise(NOREUSE)
4. fallocate(VOLATILE)

Their pages shouldn't stir normal LRU list and compaction might not
migrate them, even.
What about other things moving memory like CMA ?

Sorry for not being able to understand your point.
Can you elaborate a bit more?

Well, maybe I didn't =)
I was just wondering why exactly it is that troubles your scheme with compaction, and if such restriction would also apply to memory movement
schemes like CMA.