Re: multi-second application stall in open()

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Tue Jun 26 2012 - 16:43:21 EST

Hello,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:18:04AM -0500, Josh Hunt wrote:
> Do you have any suggestions on how to debug this?
>
> I did "perf record -a -e workqueue:*" and grabbed some tracepoint
> data, but it's hard to correlate when these events are occurring in
> the blktrace logs. Will keep investigating.

Yeah, as Vivek said, it would be better to get both traces through
perf instead of using blktrace. queue_work and execute_start TPs
print out the function pointer. Only printing out entries which match
the unplug_work would reduce a lot of noise - you can grep
cfq_kick_queue's address from /proc/kallsyms and set up
/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/workqueue/EVENT/filter - "echo
function==0xFUNCADDR > /sys/kernel/debug.../filter". Not sure how to
do that with perf tho.

Ooh, you posted another message. Will continue there.

Thanks.

--
tejun