Re: memcg: cat: memory.memsw.* : Operation not supported

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Jun 27 2012 - 16:21:24 EST

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012, Tejun Heo wrote:

> Yeah, it's kinda ugly. Taking a step back, do we really need be able
> to configure out memsw? How much vmlinux bloat or runtime overhead
> are we talking about? I don't think config options need to be this
> granular.

Well it also has a prerequisite that memcg doesn't have: CONFIG_SWAP, so
even if CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR_SWAP is folded into
CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR, then these should still depend on CONFIG_SWAP
since configuring them would imply there is some limit to be enforced.

But to answer your question:

text data bss dec hex filename
25777 3644 4128 33549 830d memcontrol.o.swap_disabled
27294 4476 4128 35898 8c3a memcontrol.o.swap_enabled

Is it really too painful to not create these files when
CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR_SWAP is disabled? If so, can we at least allow
them to be opened but return -EINVAL if memory.memsw.limit_in_bytes is
written?