[MMTests] IO metadata on ext4

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Fri Jun 29 2012 - 07:24:21 EST

Configuration: global-dhp__io-metadata-ext4
Benchmarks: dbench3, fsmark-single, fsmark-threaded

Summary
=======
For the most part the figures look ok currently. However a number of
tests show that we have declined since 3.0 in a number of areas. Some
machines show that there were performance drops in the 3.2 and 3.3
kernels that have not being fully recovered.

Benchmark notes
===============

mkfs was run on system startup. No attempt was made to age it. No
special mkfs or mount options were used.

dbench3 was chosen as it's metadata intensive.
o Duration was 180 seconds
o OSYNC, OSYNC_DIRECTORY and FSYNC were all off

As noted in the MMTests, dbench3 can be a random number generator
particularly when run in asynchronous mode. Even with the limitations,
it can be useful as an early warning system and as it's still used by
QA teams it's still worth keeping an eye on.

FSMark
o Parallel directories were used
o 1 Thread per CPU
o 0 Filesize
o 225 directories
o 22500 files per directory
o 50000 files per iteration
o 15 iterations
Single: ./fs_mark -d /tmp/fsmark-9227/1 -D 225 -N 22500 -n 50000 -L 15 -S0 -s 0

FSMark is a more realistic indicator of metadata intensive workloads.

Machine: arnold
Result: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/postings/mmtests-20120424/global-dhp__io-metadata-ext4/arnold/comparison.html
Arch: x86
CPUs: 1 socket, 2 threads
Model: Pentium 4
Disk: Single Rotary Disk

dbench
------
For single clients, we're doing reasonably well and this has been consistent
with each release.

fsmark-single
-------------
This is not as happy a story. Variations are quite high but 3.0 was a
reasonably good kernel and we've been declining ever since with 3.4
being marginally worse than 2.6.32.

fsmark-threaded
---------------
The trends are very similar to fsmark-single. 3.0 was reasonably good
but we have degraded since and are at approximately 2.6.32 levels.

Machine: hydra
Result: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/postings/mmtests-20120424/global-dhp__io-metadata-ext4/hydra/comparison.html
Arch: x86-64
CPUs: 1 socket, 4 threads
Model: AMD Phenom II X4 940
Disk: Single Rotary Disk

dbench
------
Unlike arnold, this is looking good with solid gains in most kernels
for the single-threaded case. The exception was 3.2.9 which saw a
a big dip that was recovered in 3.3. For higher number of clients the
figures still look good. It's not clear why there is such a difference
between arnold and hydra for the single-threaded case.

fsmark-single
-------------
This is very similar to arnold in that 3.0 performed best and we have
declined since back to more or less the same level as 2.6.32.

fsmark-threaded
---------------
Performance here is flat in terms of throughput. 3.4 recorded much higher
overhead but it is not clear if this is a cause for concern.

Machine: sandy
Result: http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel/postings/mmtests-20120424/global-dhp__io-metadata-ext4/sandy/comparison.html
Arch: x86-64
CPUs: 1 socket, 8 threads
Model: Intel Core i7-2600
Disk: Single Rotary Disk

dbench
------
Like hydra, this is looking good with solid gains in most kernels for the
single-threaded case. The same dip in 3.2.9 is visible but unlikely hydra
it was not recovered until 3.4. Higher number of clients generally look
good as well although it is interesting to see that the dip in 3.2.9 is
not consistently visible.

fsmark-single
-------------
Overhead went crazy in 3.3 and there is a large drop in files/sec in
3.3 as well.

fsmark-threaded
The trends are similar to the single-threaded case. Looking reasonably
good but a dip in 3.3 that has not being recovered and overhead is
higher.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs