Re: 3.5-rcX: USB support without udev?

From: Romain Francoise
Date: Sun Jul 01 2012 - 16:40:47 EST

Bob Tracy <rct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Per the syslog entries I included in my initial post on this thread, the
> only difference between the pre- and post- usbfs removal cases seems to
> be whatever is needed for the input subsystem to see the USB keyboard
> and mouse. I see the USB hubs and attached devices getting detected,
> but whatever "glue" allows the keyboard and mouse to work isn't there,
> and the input subsystem doesn't emit the expected messages at boot time.

FWIW, I have a similar issue on one of my boxes, v3.5-rc doesn't seem to
register the keyboard as an input device at boot time, using an initrd
with udev (175). The USB devices are detected, I can see usbhid getting
loaded, but the keyboard just doesn't work. And on this box the root
filesystem is luks-encrypted, which makes debugging somewhat difficult
without a keyboard.

The same keyboard works with the same kernel image on another box, so I
have no idea what this is about.