Re: long boot delays caused by 070ad7e7 floppy change

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 03 2012 - 13:50:55 EST

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok, here's the dmesg output that I get:
>
> [ 0.714316] floppy0: lock_fdc: -1 (out of 8)

Ok, thanks. That -1 definitely explains the long delay. It's using
"drive=-1" because it has no actual drive number, just the
*controller* number.

And the backtrace shows what's going on too: it's the

user_reset_fdc(-1, FD_RESET_ALWAYS, false);

that passes in -1 as the floppy controller number.

Ugh.

It looks like the code meant for -1 to mean "regular delay"
(current_reqD), and -2 to mean MAXTIMEOUT. For some reason the "-1"
logic has gotten screwed.

Linus