Re: [RFD] PM: Device tree representation of power domains

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Jul 05 2012 - 16:12:13 EST

On Wednesday, July 04, 2012, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 11:02:17PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>
> > I actually don't have any ideas how to do that at the moment, but I wonder
> > if anyone has already thought about it?
>
> > For one, I don't think that representing a power domain as a platform device
> > would be a good approach and I'm not sure how to represent the relationships
> > between devices and the domains they belong to.
>
> I guess the OMAP hwmod stuff is the closest thing we've got at the
> minute (I don't recall seeing any other implementations in mainline) but
> the hwmods themselves don't appear in the DTS right now. They have a
> ti,hwmods property on each device naming the hwmod it's in, something
> like that seems like a reasonable approach, possibly a reference to
> another DT node rather than or as well as a string? That seems fairly
> easy.

Well, it looks like (and please tell me if I'm wrong) the hwmons are just
string attributes that are parsed by the platform-specific code through
a platform bus type notifier.

We could do that for power domains too, but then each platform wanting to
use them would need to implement such a notifier and add its own routine
for parsing those strings. Would that be acceptable to everyone concerned?

Rafael