Re: [Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND or not ATTEND] That's thequestion!

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Jul 06 2012 - 08:42:53 EST

On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 14:43 +0400, Glauber Costa wrote:

> > Please no!
> > I don't see why we should clutter the changelog with tags for reasons as
> > unimportant as measuring some patch's value!
> >
> Stronger: Having the maintainer to do more work is hardly a way to decrease
> the amount of work he does. (Well, it could be in some cases, but not in
> this)

Strongest: We actually implemented this. It was called 'Impact' tags
(search the git logs). Linus *hated* them. He got really upset and
flamed us for doing it.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/4/15/296

Basically it's duplicating the subject line. The subject line should
have the impact (worth) of the patch. Heck, we should just add
'/trivial' to the subject. Like "x86/trivial: clean white space in x.c".

Or /doc or /comment or whatever. That should not be a problem, searches
are nicer on git log --pretty=oneline, and we should push to have all
non functional changes have such a tag in the subject. Then we can split
these changes out from functional changes.

There, solved ;)

-- Steve