Re: video: USB webcam fails since kernel 3.2

From: Jonathan Nieder
Date: Mon Jul 09 2012 - 16:39:31 EST

Hi Martin-Ãric,

Hans de Goede wrote:

> Erm, that is quite a bit of work from my side for something which you
> can easily do yourself, edit gspca.c, search for which_bandwidth
> and then under the following lines:
> u32 bandwidth;
> int i;
>
> Add a line like this:
> return 2000 * 2000 * 120;

In case it helps, here are some more complete instructions.

0. Prerequisites:

apt-get install git build-essential

1. Get the kernel history, if you don't already have it:

git clone \
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git

2. Try linus's master:

cd linux
git fetch origin
git reset --hard origin/master
cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config; # current configuration
scripts/config --disable DEBUG_INFO
make localmodconfig; # optional: minimize configuration
make deb-pkg; # optionally with -j<num> for parallel build
dpkg -i ../<name of package>; # as root
reboot
... test test test ...

Hopefully it reproduces the bug.

3. Try Hans's first suggested change, as described in the quoted text
above:

cd linux
vi drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca.c
... make the suggested edits ...
make deb-pkg; # maybe with -j4
dpkg -i ../<name of package>; # as root
reboot
... test test test ...

4. Try Hans's second suggested change, as described in a previous
message:

cd linux
vi drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca.c
... make the suggested edits ...
make deb-pkg; # maybe with -j4
dpkg -i ../<name of package>; # as root
reboot
... test test test ...

No doubt Jean-FranÃois will notice that it is easier to test the
standalone driver because the first build does not have to compile the
whole kernel. That's fine, too. The instructions above describe how
to test the in-kernel driver because it's what I'm used to (and
because it means you test the driver against the same version of the
rest of the kernel as would get the fix).

Hope that helps,
Jonathan