question about IO-sched

From: gaoqiang
Date: Thu Jul 12 2012 - 05:02:38 EST

Hi,all

I have long known that deadline is read-prefered. but a simple test gives the opposite result.

with two processes running at the same time,one for read and one for write.actually,they did nothing bug IO operation.
while(true)
{
read();
}
the other:
while(true)
{
write();
}

with deadline IO-sched and ext4 filesystem.as a result, read ratio was about below 3M/s.and write about 100M/s. I have tested both kernel-2.6.18 and kernel-2.6.32,getting the same result.

I add some debug information in the kernel and recompile,found that,it has little to do with IO-sched layer because read request dropped into deadline was 5% of write request .from /proc/<pid>/stack,the read process hands on sync_page most of the time.
what is the matter ? anyone help me ?