Re: linux-next: manual merge of the arm-soc tree with the i2c-embeddedtree

From: Lee Jones
Date: Fri Jul 13 2012 - 07:03:53 EST

They look like they mostly export register settings which is usually
questionable since we might want to abstract bindings so they can be
useful for a number of drivers.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. These bindings are specific to the ST-Ericsson driver and are localised, hence the 'stericsson,' vendor prefix. If you think other drivers might be able to make use of them then we can make them official i2c bindings and drop the 'stericsson,'.

Arnd, since you committed the patches, can you please comment? I'd
prefer to drop this DT conversion for now, otherwise we might have to
support this possibly rushed bindings forever? LinusW, what do you
think?

We would never have to support them forever. Even if they were deemed to be incorrect, or some other vendors wanted to use the same bindings, we would just send a patch fixing them.

I've dropped the ux500/dt branch for now. and will wait for a new one
to get submitted as a replacement. There were other things wrong with
the submission that Lee already knows about, so I think it's better
to do this the proper way now.

Okay, I've pulled the i2c patches out. I'll re-send the pull-request (less the i2c stuff) when we have an Ack from Sam on the AB8500 documentation patch.

--
Lee Jones
Linaro ST-Ericsson Landing Team Lead