Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues

From: Khalid Aziz
Date: Fri Jul 13 2012 - 17:06:07 EST

On 07/13/2012 02:37 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

Would something like this make sense to people? I really think that
"How do I generate a kernel config file" is one of those things that
keeps normal people from compiling their own kernel. And we *want*
people to compile their own kernel so that they can help with things
like bisecting etc. The more, the merrier.

This is a great idea. 7-8 years ago I used to be able to create a
minimally configured kernel from upstream and run my Debian/Ubuntu/...
install with it. It got much harder in a hurry and now it takes too much
work to figure out how to configure upstream kernel to make it work with
distro. It is a 3-5 hour compile to start with distro config file and that
is just too painful. I will help with testing configs or helping sort
through the config options.

--
Khalid Aziz
khalid.aziz@xxxxxx