Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Fri Jul 13 2012 - 17:50:25 EST

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 17:02 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> I wish defconfig was actually something useful like this, instead of..
> what the hell is it exactly ? No-one even seems to agree, other than
> "random selection of options, many of which were removed n years ago"

As for the "many of which were removed n years ago" part: in
https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/11/18/211 I suggested to delete
almost 2000 lines from over 400 defconfig files. That would have deleted
all certainly unused macros from all defconfig files. Nothing happened
after that. My fault, I'm afraid.

But just removing all the certainly unused macros probably wouldn't have
made a noticeable difference to anyone using those defconfig files
anyway.

Paul Bolle