Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues

From: Olivier Galibert
Date: Sat Jul 14 2012 - 05:51:28 EST

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:33:51AM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> How about we start cutting down on the options and start saying "a Linux
> system will provide feature x and y - always ...".
> Stuff like (and I'm just pulling random stuff out here) - ASLR, seccomp,
> 250HZ minimum etc etc.. We could cut the KConfig options down to 10% of
> what they are now if we just made a few (hard) choices about some things
> that would always be there that everyone could count on. If people want
> to deviate from the default minimum, sure, let them, but put it under
> *custom*, *embedded*, *specialized distro*, *you know what you are doing*
> menu options.

In number of options the "infrastructure" options are at most 20% of
the total. The other 80% are individual drivers, hardware (like
network cards, serial devices, usb devices, video...) or software
(crypto algorithms, partition formats, codepages, filesystems...).
You're going to have a hard time slashing 90% of that.

OG.