Re: [RFC] page-table walkers vs memory order

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Wed Jul 25 2012 - 18:10:36 EST

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 01:26:43PM -0700, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> > > The problem is that, unless you tell it otherwise, the compiler is
> > > permitted to assume that the code that it is generating is the only thing
> > > active in that address space at that time. So the compiler might know
> > > that it already has a perfectly good copy of that value somewhere in
> > > its registers, or it might decide to fetch the value twice rather than
> > > once due to register pressure, either of which can be fatal in SMP code.
> > > And then there are more aggressive optimizations as well.
> > >
> > > ACCESS_ONCE() is a way of telling the compiler to access the value
> > > once, regardless of what cute single-threaded optimizations that it
> > > otherwise might want to apply.
> >
> > Right, but you say "might": I have never heard it asserted, that we do
> > build the kernel with a compiler which actually makes such optimizations.
>
> The compiler we use today can and has hurt us with double-fetching
> and old-value-reuse optimizations. There have been several that have
> "optimized" things like "while (foo)" into "tmp = foo; while (tmp)"
> in the Linux kernel, which have been dealt with by recoding.

Ah yes, those: I think we need ACCESS_EVERY_TIME() for those ones ;)

I consider the double-fetching ones more insidious,
less obviously in need of the volatile cast.

> You might argue that the compiler cannot reasonably apply such an
> optimization in some given case, but the compiler does much more detailed
> analysis of the code than most people are willing to do (certainly more
> than I am usually willing to do!), so I believe that a little paranoia is
> quite worthwhile.
>
> > There's a lot of other surprising things which a compiler is permitted
> > to do, but we would simply not use such a compiler to build the kernel.
>
> Unless we get the gcc folks to build and boot the Linux kernel as part
> of their test suite (maybe they already do, but not that I know of),
> how would either they or we know that they had deployed a destructive
> optimization?

We find out after it hits us, and someone studies the disassembly -
if we're lucky enough to crash near the origin of the problem.

> > Does some version of gcc, under the options which we insist upon,
> > make such optimizations on any of the architectures which we support?
>
> Pretty much any production-quality compiler will do double-fetch
> and old-value-reuse optimizations, the former especially on 32-bit
> x86.

That makes good sense, yes: so, under register pressure, they may
refetch from global memory, instead of using a temporary on local stack.

> I don't know of any production-quality compilers that do value
> speculation, which would make the compiler act like DEC Alpha hardware,
> and I would hope that if this does appear, (1) we would have warning
> and (2) it could be turned off. But there has been a lot of work on
> this topic, so we would be foolish to rule it out.

I think you're justified in expecting both (1) and (2) there.

> But the currently deployed optimizations can already cause enough trouble.
>
> > Or is there some other compiler in use on the kernel, which makes
> > such optimizations? It seems a long time since I heard of building
> > the kernel with icc. clang?
> >
> > I don't mind the answer "Yes, you idiot" - preferably with an example
> > or two of which compiler and which piece of code it has bitten us on.
> > I don't mind the answer "We just don't know" if that's the case.
> >
> > But I'd like a better idea of how much to worry: is ACCESS_ONCE
> > demonstrably needed today, or rather future-proofing and documentation?
>
> Both. If you are coding "while (foo)" where "foo" can be changed by an
> interrupt handler, you had better instead write "while (ACCESS_ONCE(foo))"
> or something similar, because most compilers are happy to optimize your
> loop into an infinite loop in that case. There are places in the Linux
> kernel that would have problems if the compiler decided to refetch a
> value -- if a pointer was changed in the meantime, part of your code
> might be working on the old structure, and part on the new structure.
> This really can happen today, and this is why rcu_dereference() contains
> an ACCESS_ONCE().
>
> If you are making lockless non-atomic access to a variable, I strongly
> suggest ACCESS_ONCE() or something similar even if you cannot see how
> the compiler can mess you up, especially in cases involving a lot of
> inline functions. In this case, the compiler can be looking at quite
> a bit of code and optimizing across the entire mess.

Thank you for your fuller reply, Paul: I should be able to hold that
i386 register pressure example in mind in future (not, of course,
that it would be limited to i386 at all).

> /me wonders what he stepped into with this email thread. ;-)
>
> Thanx, Paul

Come on, it wasn't that painful, was it?
Just a quick extraction of info ;-)

Thanks,
Hugh