Re: Oops after merge of tty-next

From: Thierry Reding
Date: Fri Jul 27 2012 - 03:16:34 EST

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:05:27PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 15:51:03 +0100
> Ian Abbott <abbotti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 2012-07-21 23:41, Alan Cox wrote:

> Ok Greg you can you leave that one in -next but not push it for 3.6.
>
> I need to go over this in some detail and figure out the remaining
> race, and worse yet how to fix it without the mess of existing locks
> turning it into something nasty.
>
> I think I understand what is needed but I don't want to be doing it as
> a mad panic for 3.6. On the bright side I think it explains the other
> tty lock splitting mysteries.

I've also been able to reproduce this, or at least a very similar issue,
on ARM (Tegra). The system boots into the initrd, which works as usual,
but it hangs when executing the switch_root that starts systemd within
the final root filesystem. With the above-mentioned commit reverted, the
system successfully boots to the login prompt.

Thierry