Re: An Andre To Remember

From: Stan Hoeppner
Date: Sun Jul 29 2012 - 11:28:45 EST

On 7/28/2012 7:11 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 13:56 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> An Andre To Remember
>> July 2012
>>
>> Linux lost a friend and advocate this month. Though never a household
>> name, Andre Hedrick had a positive impact on everyone today running
>> Linux, or using a website, with any form of IDE (ATA) or SCSI storage
>> -- that means millions upon millions of users today.
>>
>> For a time, Andre interacted with practically every relevant IDE
>> drive and controller manufacturer, as well as the T13 standards
>> committee through which IDE changes were made. He helped ensure
>> Linux had near-universal IDE support in a hardware era when Linux
>> support was a second thought if at all. As the Register article[1]
>> noted, with CPRM and other efforts, Andre worked to keep storage a
>> more open platform than it might otherwise have been.
>>
>> [1] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/26/andre_hedrick/
>>
>> Andre also played a role in IDE technology coalescing around the idea
>> of a "taskfile", which is IDE-speak for an RPC command issued to a
>> disk drive, and the RPC response returned from the drive. It was
>> very important to Andre that the kernel have a "taskfile ioctl",
>> an API enabling full programmable access to the disk drive. At the
>> time, a more limited "cmd ioctl" API was the best option available,
>> but Linux's cmd ioctl did not give users full and complete access to
>> their own disk drive.
>>
>> Andre's taskfile concept was a central component of the current,
>> rewritten-from-scratch Linux IDE driver "libata." libata uses an
>> "ata_taskfile" to communicate with all IDE drives, whether from a
>> decade ago or built yesterday. The taskfile concept modernized
>> IDE software, by forcing the industry to move away from a slow,
>> signals-originated register API to a modern, packetized RPC messaging
>> API, similar to where SCSI storage had already been moving.
>>
>> I spent many hours on the phone with Andre, circa 2003, learning all
>> there was to know about ATA storage, while writing libata. Andre could
>> be considered one of the grandfathers of libata, along with Alan Cox.
>> I became friends with Andre during this time, and we talked a lot.
>>
>> Andre was unquestionably smart, driven and an advocate for Linux user
>> freedom.
>>

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thank you for sharing your thoughts + memories of Andre.
>
> As we grieve this extreme loss, I'd like to try to share some of my own
> experiences with Andre that will hopefully help others to begin to
> understand the kind + generous type of person that Andre really was, and
> just some of his staggering technical feats + accomplishments that can
> be talked about publicly today.
>
> Along with Andre being involved in the history of libata and IDE/ATA
> development, those of us in the Linux kernel storage development
> community also know, he was also instrumental in creation of the
> original out-of-tree PyX iSCSI target code that's now in mainline.

> [...]

I'd never heard of Andre until reading this as I'm not a dev. If he'd
died in an auto accident I wouldn't be typing this.

I think we dishonor Andre's memory and do a disservice to other
technical folks by avoiding the subject of 'why'. Or has this been
discussed and I'm simply unaware? He apparently made a decent living at
Cisco, had a wife and 4 kids, a prototypical nice life. So why did he
end it? Pressure/stress, bipolar disorder, depression?

He's not the first super talented tech to take his own life, and won't
be the last. If we continue to shove "why" under the rug there's little
chance of preventing another friend/colleague from doing the same in the
future.

If those who knew him well would talk about the 'why' that just might
raise awareness and maybe help save a life down the road. Then again
maybe no devs actually got to really know the man.

--
Stan