Re: [patch] x86, avx: don't use avx instructions with "noxsave" bootparam

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jul 31 2012 - 12:43:44 EST

On 07/31/2012 09:27 AM, Suresh Siddha wrote:
On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 21:33 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
I'm wondering if we shouldn't just kill the affected CPUID bits if osxsave is off...

Yes, I considered clearing AVX bit (and any future xsave feature bits)
as part of the parsing "noxsave" parameter in x86_xsave_setup().

But thought checking for osxsave was more explicit and there are not
many places using avx code. Also, this follows the SDM guidelines and
sets a nice precedent for someone (app's) to follow in future.

I am ok either way!

My main reason for thinking that it would be good to clear the bits is that it plays a lot nicer with alternatives and with static_cpu_has().

-hpa