Re: Complaint - pid-owner Support Removed (CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_OWNER)

From: valdis . kletnieks
Date: Tue Jul 31 2012 - 21:20:09 EST

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:41:21 +1000, NeilBrown said:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:22:10 +0200 "C. Schmid" <christian.schmid81@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > i want to complain about the removal of the --pid-owner Support for iptables.
> > As far as i understand it this support was just removed without replacement.
>
> Yes, 7 years ago.

> "Unfixably broken"

Even *before* it was removed, it declared itself "broken on SMP" (which is a
good hint on exactly *why* it was unfixable), and why it's not applicable to
most modern desktop systems anyhow - even an iPad is a dual-core.

And to be honest, the "Linux only cares about big iron not the desktop" is a
total red herring - if anything, many laptops *are* essentially a single-user
environment, while big iron boxes are even *more* concerned about per-user
issues. I just checked one of the compute clusters across the hall, 1100+
actual users defined. How often do desktops/laptops have that many real live
users?