Re: [RFC v2 1/7] hashtable: introduce a small and naive hashtable

From: Sasha Levin
Date: Fri Aug 03 2012 - 17:36:18 EST

On 08/03/2012 11:30 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
>> I think hash_for_for_each_possible() is useful if the comparison
>> > condition is more complex than a simple comparison of one of the
>> > object members with the key - there's no need to force it on all the
>> > users.
> I don't know. What's the difference? In terms of LOC, it might even
> not save any thanks to the extra function definition, right? I don't
> think it's saving enough complexity to justify a separate rather
> unusual interface.

The function definition itself is just a macro, for example:

#define MM_SLOTS_HASH_CMP(mm_slot, obj) ((mm_slot)->mm == (obj))

As an alternative, what do you think about simplifying that to be just a 'cond' instead of a function? Something like:

hash_get(&mm_slots_hash, mm, struct mm_slot, hash, mm);

In that case, the last param ("mm") will get unrolled to a condition like this:

if ((obj)->mm == key)

Which will be simple and easy for the user.

The only reason I want to keep this interface is that most cases I've stumbled so far were easy short comparisons of a struct member with the key, and I don't want to make them more complex than they need to be. I probably will switch hash_get() to use hash_for_each_possible() as well, which will cut down on how hash_get() is a separate case.