Re: Using vanilla kernels headers to do backport testing -- issueswith memcpy()

From: Sedat Dilek
Date: Thu Aug 09 2012 - 03:27:42 EST

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Ozan ÃaÄlayan <ozancag@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> mcgrof@garbanzo ~/compat (git::master)$ objdump -T
>>> /home/mcgrof/compat-ksrc/lib/modules/3.4.4-030404-generic/build/scripts/genksyms/genksyms
>
> <-- snip -->
>
>>> Bleh:
>>>
>>> 0000000000000000 DF *UND* 0000000000000000 GLIBC_2.14 memcpy
>
> <-- snip -->
>
>> Can't we just rebuild genksyms in compat? I already have glibc 2.15 on
>> my system so I can't test this but normally this should adapt to the
>> build environment as it rebuilds and relinks the binary.
>
> Indeed! Implemented and pushed upstream:
>
> https://github.com/mcgrof/compat/commit/42faf2dc8d8bbbdc5b8913183fcd021a27e953c9

I am not an English native but this sentence sounds a bit strange to
me ("used" followed by "require" and double "Linux"?).
I can imagine what you want to express but have no better wording right now.

180 + echo -e " This was added since kernels >= 3.4 used require"
181 + echo -e " a glibc >= 2.14 for memcpy(), and not all Linux"
182 + echo -e " Linux distributions have such glibc.

- Sedat -