Q: Seeing the microcode revision in /proc/cpuinfo

From: Ulrich Windl
Date: Tue Aug 14 2012 - 08:35:47 EST

Hi!

After several reboots due to memory errors after excellent power-saving of Linux on a HP DL380G7 with Intel Xeon 5650 processors (all in on memory bank), I found out the errate "BD104" and "BD123". The former should be fixed in a microcode revision "15H".

Now I wonder what microcode revision my CPUs currently have. /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show that, and the microcode update is a bit cryptic:

kernel: [ 44.422912] microcode: CPU23 sig=0x206c2, pf=0x1, revision=0x14

Does that mean the revision is 0x14 BEFORE or AFTER the microcode update?

Wouldn't you agree that seeing the microcode revision in /proc/cpuinfo would be nice?

For those CPUs lacking the feature one could hard-wire the value "none" (which would be also "kind of true")...

Regards,
Ulrich
(not subscribed, so please CC: you replies to me)