Re: Backports mailing list

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Tue Aug 14 2012 - 12:00:30 EST

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
> <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> The compat [0] / compat-wireless [1] [2] projects have received quite
>> a bit of love of the years to the point we now have 3 subsystems
>> backported: Ethernet, Bluetooth and 802.11. Ozan ÃaÄlayan, a Linux
>> Foundation Google Summer of Code student is folding in right now drm
>> driver support. At the request of the community, specifically those
>> part of the Linux Foundation driver working group [3], we are going to
>> be renaming the project to compat-drivers soon after drm is integrated
>> and will be housing documentation under the kernel.org infrastructure
>> [4] under this new name. It'll take some time for us to migrate the
>> documentation / releases but do not see major issues with that, it
>> will just take a bit of time but hope to have it done for the next
>> stable release based on the next kernel stable release. At this time
>> for patches we do have a Linux Foundation mailing list but have had
>> issues with it for a while now so we keep using linux-wireless for
>> patches. Given that our focus is to always prioritize upstream and
>> always try to work with solutions that ensure vendors are focusing on
>> upstream solutions and prioritizing upstream [5] I was hoping we can
>> get a mailing list set up on vger for the project, perhaps
>> backports@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, so we don't flood the other mailing lists
>> with random kernel backport junk. Please let me know if this is
>> reasonable.
>>
>> [0] https://github.com/mcgrof/compat
>> [1] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/
>> [2] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/
>> [3] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/driver-backport/group
>> [4] https://backports.wiki.kernel.org
>> [5] http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/#Additional_patches_to_stable_releases
>>

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering why people are not consistent in naming - here again a
> good example.
>
> The workgroup at Linux Foundation is called "driver-backport".
> You (Luis) are talking about a rename to "compat-drivers".
> And then the ML and wiki have the name "backports".
>
> So "backports" is for me is a bit confusing!
> That reminds me when I first read about "AAArgh64!!!" stuff which was
> in the end called mips64 to keep consistency to other existing arches.
>
> So, just to fool the world a bit more:
> What about "linux-backports" or why didn't you keep the "driver-backport" name?
>
> Just my 0.02EUR.

To start off with the compat-drivers name came as a recommendation
from the workgroup and it follows the old name evolution:
compat-wireless --> compat-drivers. The reason for not having a long
similar alias for the mailing list is vger.kernel.org already implies
Linux kernel so backports is nice and short. Another reason is that
the backporting project already has 2 target source code projects:

* compat - a shared module
* compat-drivers - the drivers we pull and backport

When folks send patches they can prepend their patches with the
project name as a prefix to the patch.

For more details please see:

http://www.do-not-panic.com/2012/08/automatically-backporting-linux-kernel.html
http://www.do-not-panic.com/2012/08/optimizing-backporting-collateral.html