Re: Add rq->nr_uninterruptible count to dest cpu's rq while CPU goes down.

From: Rakib Mullick
Date: Thu Aug 16 2012 - 10:28:53 EST

On 8/16/12, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 19:45 +0600, Rakib Mullick wrote:
>> When a CPU is about to go down, it moves all it's sleeping task to an
>> active CPU, then nr_uninterruptible counts are
>> also moved. When moving nr_uninterruptible count, currently it chooses a
>> randomly picked CPU from the active CPU mask
>> to keep the global nr_uninterruptible count intact. But, it would be
>> precise to move nr_uninterruptible counts to the
>> CPU where all the sleeping tasks were moved and it also might have subtle
>> impact over rq's load calculation. So, this
>> patch is prepared to address this issue.
>
> The Changelog is ill-formated. Other than that, the patch doesn't appear
> to actually do what it says. The sleeping tasks can be scattered to any
> number of cpus as decided by select_fallback_rq().

I'm not sure which parts are missing from Changelog to patch. And this
patch assumes that, sleeping tasks won't be scattered. From
select_fallback_rq(), sleeping tasks might get scattered due to
various cases like. if CPU is down, task isn't allowed to move a
particular CPU. Other than that, dest cpu supposed to be the same.

> Furthermore there should be absolutely no impact on load calculation
> what so ever. nr_uninterruptible is only ever useful as a sum over all
> cpus, this total sum doesn't change regardless of where you put the
> value.
>
> Worse, there's absolutely no relation to the tasks on the runqueue
> (sleeping or otherwise) and nr_uninterruptible, so coupling these
> actions makes no sense what so ever.

nr_uninterruptible is coupled with tasks on the runqueue to calculate
nr_active numbers.
In calc_load_fold_active(), this nr_active numbers are used to
calculate delta. This is how I understand this part and seeing some
impact.

Thanks,
Rakib