Re: [discussion]sched: a rough proposal to enable power saving inscheduler

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Aug 22 2012 - 05:10:15 EST

* Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Our power consumption is worse than under other operating
> systems is almost entirely because only one of our three GPU
> drivers implements any kind of useful power management. [...]

... and because our CPU frequency and C state selection logic is
doing pretty much the worst possible decisions (on x86 at
least).

Regardless, you cannot possibly seriously suggest that because
there's even greater suckage elsewhere for some workloads we
should not even bother with improving the situation here.

Anyway, I agree with Alan that actual numbers matter.

Thanks,

Ingo