Re: Drop support for x86-32

From: wbrana
Date: Fri Aug 24 2012 - 08:59:35 EST

On 8/24/12, Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What do you mean with "Linux"? The Linux kernel as such? Some (and
> which) distributions?
Linux kernel first, distributions and software will follow

> And you obviously never thought about embedded devices.
> Servers, laptops, notebooks and desktop computers are not the whole
> computing world - and from the pure numbers not even the majority BTW.
I don't request dropping support for ARM and other platforms which are
still in production

> Please proof that it will be developed "faster" (whatever that means
> to you). Thank you.
Developers won't have to maintain e.g. x86-32 assembler code and can
work on x32 and x86-64 instead.

> So you want the Linux kernel people to drop support for some
> architecture in the hope others follow (because you will consequently
> send mails there with "the Linux kernel dropped the support, you should
> too" hoping that some other software will be developed
> "faster" (whatever that means to you)?
exactly

> *If* you really miss something in some other parts (compilers,
> virtualization, ...) or they developing to slow *for you*, help them and
> send patches there but do not try to lure others into fighting your
> cause.
I don't have knowledge about compilers and virtualization. I work on
general GUI applications (Java and C++) and web pages.