Space-Certified CPUs and Linux

From: Craig Milo Rogers
Date: Fri Aug 24 2012 - 16:39:39 EST

On 12.08.24, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> Random question. As I recall the Space Shuttle and the International
> Space Station was only using 80386's because they have to be hardened
> against radiation/cosmic rays, as well as all of the other mechnical
> and thermal stresses associated with being in a spacecraft. Is there
> any newer generation cpu's which are space-cerified at this point?

The MAESTRO processor is a rad-hard-by-design variant of the Tilera
architecture, intended for space applications. Linux runs on it.

The Mongoose-V is a rad-hard MIPS R3000 processor. It can run
VxWorks, made by Wind River (a subsidiary of Intel since 2009).

http://www.synova.com/proc/mg5.html

Rad-hard Power PCs are the current space workhorse. Several variants
are available. NASA has run Linux on at least one of them in space, but I
believe that VxWorks is more the norm.

> (Of course, I'm rather doubtful that NASA would ever be willing to use
> Linux on something like the Curiosity Mars Rover, but I could imagine
> Linux being used in a non-mission critcal system on the ISS....)

Linux has been use on scientific equipment sent to the ISS.
Not, I think, on the avionics.

Curiosity runs VxWorks, as do the SpaceX Falcon 9 and Dragon.

Craig Milo Rogers