Re: KS/Plumbers: c-state governor BOF

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Wed Aug 29 2012 - 16:40:01 EST

On 08/24/2012 01:01 PM, Rik van Riel wrote:

Since a good number of us will be in San Diego next week, at
Kernel Summit / Plumbers / etc, I will organize a c-state
governor BOF for those who are interested.

Here are the note from today's c-state governor BOF session:

- idle time estimator can be improved to return more
conservative values
- have a trace point to verify how well idle time estimation works,
returning expected idle time for the current algorithm, expected
idle time for a test algorithm, and actually measured idle time
- we can objectively measure whether one idle time estimation
algorithm is better than another
- example: last 8 idle times are 180 200 30 210 1000 150 10000 190
- average idle time around 1500, but not typical
- typical idle time just under 200
- almost all idle time spent in one interval
- scheduler and cpufreq people also want idle time
statistics, idea is to move the idle time statistics
to the scheduler
- having idle time statistics in the scheduler allows
the stats to be migrated when the scheduler migrates
a task
- interface: expected idle time, demotion time
- if we sleep much more than the expected idle time, put
CPU into a deeper c-state
- on x86 timed mwait could be used
- generic timer code would be usable too
- take into account both the idle statistics and power break-even