RE: Using uio_pdrv to create an platform device for an FPGA, mmap()fails

From: Worth, Kevin
Date: Thu Aug 30 2012 - 16:13:46 EST

>> Thanks for the reply, Hans. Your question about opening /dev/uio0 O_RDWR
>> prompted me to check out how I was creating /dev/uio0 ... my system
>> isn't using udev, and I was accidentally creating it with major/minor
>> number 254/0 instead of the correct 253/0 (found by looking at
>> /proc/devices). Fixed that and the mmap() call started working.
>
>Good.
>

>> Verified that if /dev/uio0 has permissions 0644, root can open it O_RDWR
>> and mmap PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE using the below code and write to an
>> address within my memory map. Of course this contradicts the statement
>> "/dev/uioX is a read-only file" in the UIO howto.
>
>You're right. That wants to be fixed...
>

>> Including my updated, tested code for completeness.
>> Note I also cleaned up the device registration a little by
>> using a different platform_device_register_ call and removing fields
>> in the struct uio_info that get filled in by uio_pdrv automatically.
>
>If you want to have that included in the mainline, please choose a more
>descriptive name than "myfpga" and send a proper patch.

I wasn't sure about submitting as a patch since it's for a custom FPGA
that I don't expect the community will be using, but the code seems like
possibly useful sample/example code. Perhaps patching the HOWTO like
http://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/uio-howto.html#uio_pci_generic_example
is the right approach?