Re: lockdep WARNING for run_timer_softirq()

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Wed Sep 05 2012 - 13:09:12 EST

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 10:20 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> Well, the branch tracer was active. That means all 'if()'s were being
> traced. It comes down to how you define 'if' ;-)

Yeah, I tried making an argument for:

we tell lockdep irqs are enabled hit an if() end up in lockdep code
through the branch tracer and find borken state, or vice-versa.

Just couldn't find it in the provided stack-trace. Might be I didn't
look hard enough, might be there's something else entirely.

All I know is I've never seen it on real hardware, then again, I hardly
ever have CONFIG_PARAVIRT or CONFIG_TRACE_BRANCH_PROFILING, let alone
both.