Re: linux-next: Tree for Sept 6 (does not boot on AMD64)

From: Andre Przywara
Date: Thu Sep 06 2012 - 16:49:02 EST

On 09/06/2012 10:30 PM, Sedat Dilek wrote:
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki<rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday, September 06, 2012, Sedat Dilek wrote:
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Sedat Dilek<sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Stephen Rothwell<sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,
Hi,

Unfortunately, today's linux-next does not boot here on Ubuntu/precise AMD64.
My yesterday's next-20120905 is fine.

I throw out all my additional patches an rebuild again as "-2", but
this linux-image does not boot.
It's in very early stage.
I removed "quiet" etc. from kernel-command-line, but this reveals not much more.

From the attached kernel-config.diff:
Dunno why the 2nd is disabled now and try to turn off the 1st one in a
"-3" build.

+CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_CPB=y
-CONFIG_USB_LIBUSUAL=y

[ CC Rafael (cpufreq sub-maintainer) ]

Well, this is related to the AMD cpufreq patchset I've just added to
linux-next. I'll drop it for now until the issue is resolved.

Hi Rafael,

The problem was caused by the slab/next merge (see [1]).

[1] http://marc.info/?t=134695686500008&r=1&w=2

I hacked to turn off CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_CPB, but this is not the
root cause.
Not sure why this setting is default YES, Rafael?

To switch from upstart to systemd does not help.

Andre, care to have a look at this?

I am not sure if the depends-on/default-n/default-y lines are correct.
Here, I am on a Intel sandy-bridge CPU, so why do I need to activate
any AMD CPU workaround?

It is not a workaround, it is about keeping a feature that was in powernow-k8 for 2.5 years. AMD CPUs have this sysfs knob for turning on and off the boost feature, we want to keep this around for some time for compatibility reasons.
Newer AMD CPUs (Phenoms/Barcelona and up) are now only supported by acpi-cpufreq, not by powernow-k8 anymore.

And: it will only be activated on AMD:
+#ifdef CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_CPB
+ * Lets enable it only on AMD CPUs for compatibility reasons and
+ * only if configured. This is considered legacy code, which
+ * will probably be removed at some point in the future.
+ */
+ if (check_amd_hwpstate_cpu(0)) {

[ Linux-Next (next-20120906) ]

19 config X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ
20 tristate "ACPI Processor P-States driver"
21 select CPU_FREQ_TABLE
22 depends on ACPI_PROCESSOR
23 help
24 This driver adds a CPUFreq driver which utilizes the ACPI
25 Processor Performance States.
26 This driver also supports Intel Enhanced Speedstep and newer
27 AMD CPUs.
28
29 To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
30 module will be called acpi-cpufreq.
31
32 For details, take a look at<file:Documentation/cpu-freq/>.
33
34 If in doubt, say N.
35
36 config X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_CPB
37 default y
38 bool "Legacy cpb sysfs knob support for AMD CPUs"
39 depends on X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ&& CPU_SUP_AMD
40 help
41 The powernow-k8 driver used to provide a sysfs knob called "cpb"
42 to disable the Core Performance Boosting feature of AMD CPUs. This
43 file has now been superseeded by the more generic "boost" entry.
44
45 By enabling this option the acpi_cpufreq driver provides the old
46 entry in addition to the new boost ones, for compatibility reasons.

Why is there no depends-on "X86_POWERNOW_K8" (see above help-text)?

Because this driver lost the support for newer CPUs and thus also this feature. We migrate this feature over to acpi-cpufreq.

I have set CONFIG_CPU_SUP_AMD=y which leads always to
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_CPB=y.
As said Intel SNB CPU!

As said it does not hurt if you boot it on an Intel CPU, the code will not be run.

What about this (untested)?

----- SNIP -----
config X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_CPB
bool "Legacy cpb sysfs knob support for AMD CPUs"
depends on X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ
default y if X86_POWERNOW_K8&& CPU_SUP_AMD

Powernow-K8 does not support CPB anymore, this code is now in acpi-cpufreq. So a dependency on the old driver does not help.

Are there still any problems with this patchset? Or are you only wondering about the new config switch?

Thanks for testing!
Andre.

--
Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany