Freeze or Oops on recent kernels

From: yvahk-xreary
Date: Fri Sep 07 2012 - 07:30:19 EST

I am getting either a a kernel Oops or freeze (without any console output)
on recent kernels. I have tested on 2.6.32.26 PAE, 3.1.9 PAE, and 3.4.9 PAE
all with similar results.

The hardware involved comprises mainly:

12 GB ram
Intel DX58S02 motherboard
Intel Xeon E5220
2 x onboard ethernet
Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port ethernet
Hauppauge HVR1700 DVB-T PCIe card
Technisat SkyStar2 DVB-T PCI card

The oops or freeze occurs when both DVB cards are recording
simultaneously. With either card installed on their own there
is never any problem.

I should also add that the exact same kernel and cards on
a Gigabyte GA-P31-S3G motherboard + Intel Pentium 4 the problem
NEVER occurs. So there may be a DX58S02/timing/interrupt issue.

When there is an oops it is like this (hand-transcribed
from 2.6.32.26 PAE kernel):

c0789444 panic + 3e/e9
oops_end + 97/a6
no_context + 13b/145
__bad_area_nosemaphore + ec/f4
? do_page_fault + 0/29f
bad_area_nosemaphore + 12/15
do_page_fault + 139/29f
? do_page_fault + 139/29f
c078b54b error_code + 73/78
f82084fb ? cx23885_video_irq + d8/1dc
f820b04d cx23885_irq + 3df/3fe
c04834ac handle_irq_event + 57/fd
handle_fasteoi_irq + 6f/a2
handle_irq + 40/4d
do_IRQ + 46/9a
common_interrupt + 30/38
c045b7a9 ? prepare_to_wait + 14c
f7fef5a5 ? videobug_waitm + 90/133
c045b601 ? autoremove_waker_function + 0/34
f805e5bc videobuf_dvb_thread + 73/135
f805e4f9 ? videobuf_dvb_thread + 0/135
c045b3c9 kthread + 64/69
? kthread + 0/69
kernel_thread_helper + 7/10

Although I am a very experienced programmer I have next to zero
kernel expertise except for minor patching of a few drivers.

My guess from the stack trace is that there might be an issue
with page fault recursion (if that is at all possible).

Anyhow I don't want to waste too much of my time or anybody elses
on this - although with the problem occuring with 3.4.9 kernel which
has significant interrupt handling changes it probably is something
that somebody might want to know about. If anybody can spot a clue
as to where I should be looking and how I should go about isolating
the problem (if only kernel core dumped!) please let me know and
I will possibly try and assist. I need some guidance.

Regards
John W.