Re: runtime PM and special power switches

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Wed Sep 12 2012 - 01:14:28 EST

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 12, 2012, Dave Airlie wrote:

>> > This sounds more like a job for a power domain. Unless the power
>> > switch is already in the device hierarchy as a parent to the PCI
>> > device.
>>
>> I'll have to investigate power domains then,
>>
>> The switch is hidden in many different places, one some laptops its in
>> a ACPI _DSM on one GPU, on others its in an ACPI _DSM on the other
>> one, in some its in a different ACPI _DSM, then we have it in the ACPI
>> ATPX method on others, and finally Apple have it in a piece of hw that
>> isn't just on the LPC bus or somewhere like that.
>>
>> Currently we just hide it all inside vga_switcheroo and I'd just need
>> an interface to call that once the layers have stopped poking
>> registers in PCI config space, if we could fix PCI runtime suspend so
>> the driver was the last to g 2et called then that would also not suck.
>
> Well, as I said, we may try to change the PCI layer so that it doesn't
> access the device any more in pci_pm_runtime_suspend() if it sees that
> pci_dev->state_saved has been set by the driver's callback. Then,
> your drivers would only need to set pci_dev->state_saved in their
> .runtime_suspend() callbacks.

Actually it appears I'll need this, I'd forgotten things are a bit
messier than I thought

So there are two variants on the _DSM for nvidia dual-gpu machines,
the older pre-optimus _DSM requires
an explicit power off call post-D3, however for optimus _DSM the D3
transition will flick the power switch, however
the pci code then goes and seem to turn the device back to D0 for some
reason. So yes after save state,
I'd really appreciate if it the pci layer would stop poking my device.

> Alternatively, which may be less hackish but more work, you can set the
> pm_domain pointer in the device structure to a struct dev_pm_domain whose
> ops will just call the corresponding bus type's ops except for
> .runtime_suspend() that will execute the additional ACPI stuff after calling
> the bus type's method.

I've mostly written this, and it seems to work, I've jsut set a
pm_domain in the vga switcheroo code that copies the dev->bus->pm
into a private structure. I'll need this for the old nvidia and radeon
poweroffs.

Dave.