Re: rcu self-detected stall messages on OMAP3, 4 boards

From: Paul Walmsley
Date: Fri Sep 21 2012 - 14:09:08 EST

cc Frederic Weisbecker - context is here:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> Fair point. I am wondering whether there is some path into the idle
> loop that somehow avoids telling RCU that the CPU has in face entered
> idle. There needs to be an rcu_idle_enter() call on the way to idle,
> otherwise RCU CPU stall warnings are expected behavior.

As far as I know, our only idle entry point is in
arch/arm/common/process.c:cpu_idle().

Looking at the x86 idle entry, they call rcu_idle_{enter,exit}() inside
{stop,start}_critical_timings(). Making that change here didn't help.

Also tried commenting out the code from the stop_critical_timings() call
to the WARN_ON(irqs_disabled()), and adding a local_irq_enable(). That
also didn't help, which suggests that the problem is not caused by the
OMAP-specific PM idle code.

- Paul