Re: rcu self-detected stall messages on OMAP3, 4 boards

From: Paul Walmsley
Date: Sat Sep 22 2012 - 18:25:53 EST

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> And here is a patch. I am still having trouble reproducing the problem,
> but figured that I should avoid serializing things.

Thanks, testing this now on v3.6-rc6. One question though about the patch

> All this begs the question of exactly how a callback-free grace period
> gets started in the first place. This can happen due to the fact that
> CPUs do not necessarily agree on which grace period is in progress.
> If a CPU still believes that the grace period that just completed is
> still ongoing, it will believe that it has callbacks that need to wait
> for another grace period, never mind the fact that the grace period
> that they were waiting for just completed. This CPU can therefore
> erroneously decide to start a new grace period.

Doesn't this imply that this bug would only affect multi-CPU systems?

The recent tests here have been on Pandaboard, which is dual-CPU, but my
recollection is that I also observed the warnings on a single-core
Beagleboard. Will re-test.

- Paul