Re: [patch for-3.6] mm, thp: fix mapped pages avoiding unevictablelist on mlock

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Sep 26 2012 - 21:40:03 EST

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> Good catch, and the patch looks right to me, as far as it goes:
> but does it go far enough?
>
> I hesitate because it looks as if the NR_MLOCK zone page state is
> maintained (with incs and decs) in ignorance of THP; so although
> you will be correcting the Unevictable kB with your mlock_vma_page(),
> the Mlocked kB just above it in /proc/meminfo would still be wrong?

Indeed, NR_MLOCK is a separate problem with regard to thp and it's
currently incremented once for every hugepage rather than HPAGE_PMD_NR.
mlock_vma_page() needs to increment by hpage_nr_pages(page) like
add_page_to_lru_list() does.

> I suppose I'm not sure whether this is material for late-3.6:
> surely it's not a fix for a recent regression?

Ok, sounds good. If there's no objection, I'd like to ask Andrew to apply
this to -mm and remove the cc to stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx since the
mlock_vma_page() problem above is separate and doesn't conflict with this
code, so I'll send a followup patch to address that.

Thanks!