Re: [RFC] tty: Add get- ioctls to fetch tty status

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Sep 27 2012 - 11:05:38 EST

On 09/27/2012 07:48 AM, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 07:43:44AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
If you can't guarantee that ALL those processes are stopped and
checkpointed/restarted, you have a huge problem.

Well, sure inside our tool before doing checkpoint we stop all
tasks which are part of dumpee process tree. This unfortunatly
doesn't apply to these ioctl calls. Peter, any idea how to deal
with that?

Sorry, no. I suspect you might be trying to do something that is
impossible to do in a general fashion without application changes.

I see. What if I wrap all this entries with CONFIG_CHECKPOINT_RESTORE
and say add some sysctl which would enable/disbale this ioctls. Then
it'll be up to user-space callers to make sure that data received is
valid and can be used? The problem is that I need to fetch this bits
somehow with minimal changes in kernel.

I don't see how that solves anything.

-hpa