Etron usb3 device not detected on Qnap TS 119 P II

From: jurriaan_lkml
Date: Sat Sep 29 2012 - 00:53:38 EST

I have a situation where a single-bay NAS, the Qnap TS 119 P II in the
newest revision has 2 usb3 ports on the back. When using the 3.6-rc7
kernel (and earlier ones), these ports don't exist. There is no output
with lsusb, and the device doesn't show up with lspci or dmesg. The
directory /sys/devices/pci is empty.

Qnap's own kernel, a patched variety of 2.6.33.2, adds a separate
etcxhci-pci driver that does find the hardware, with vendorid
PCI_VENDOR_ID_ETRON 0x1b6f and PCI_DEVICE_ID_ASROCK_P67 0x7023.

I did notice these ids are in the 3.6-rc7 xhci-pci.c file, so the new
kernel should support the hardware. Contact with Sarah Sharp, the author
of xhci-pci.c, pointed out that Qnap likely did something in the
pci-enumeration code to get the device activated.

This is a armiv5tel device, running a Marvell Feroceon cpu. I have a
serial console cable and can run experimental kernels/patches. What I
would dearly like is some pointers about where to turn on debugging and
what to post here to get find out where things go wrong.

I'm posting it here, since I think it might be more of a general pci
device problem than an usb problem.

Thanks,
Jurriaan