Re: tg3 driver upgrade (Linux 2.6.32 -> 3.2) breaks IBM Bladecenter SoL

From: Ferenc Wagner
Date: Tue Oct 02 2012 - 05:31:57 EST

"Michael Chan" <mchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 22:45 +0200, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> Upgrading the kernel on our HS20 blades resulted in their SoL (serial
>> over LAN) connection being broken. The disconnection happens when eth0
>> (the interface involved in SoL) is brought up during the boot sequence.
>> If I later "ip link set eth0 down", then the connection is restored, but
>> "ip link set eth0 up" breaks it again on 3.2. ethtool -a, -c, -g, -k
>> and -u show no difference; ethtool -i on the 2.6.32 kernel reports:
>>
>> driver: tg3
>> version: 3.116
>> firmware-version: 5704s-v3.38, ASFIPMIs v2.47
>> bus-info: 0000:05:01.0
>>
>> In the 3.2 kernel the driver version is 3.121.
>
> 2.6.32 to 3.2 is a big jump. Can you narrow this down further? It will
> be hard for us to find a HS20 with 5704 to test this. Thanks.

Certainly, I'm bisecting it now, but I thought I would drop in the
question in case it rings some bells somewhere. Given the nature of the
problem, it isn't much fun to bisect, and the stripped down kernel I'm
testing with breaks the SoL connection for a couple of seconds even in
the "good" cases. I'm already down to 13 steps...
--
Thanks,
Feri.