Re: linux-next: build failure in dwarf-regs.c

From: Ben Guthro
Date: Tue Oct 02 2012 - 07:39:27 EST

Hi Ian,

Once again - apologies for multiple copies of this email. Please reply
to this (plain text) version so it will get through LKML filters.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Ian Munsie <imunsie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > CC arch/x86/util/dwarf-regs.o
>
> Is this correct? i.e. Are you building perf for x86?

Yes, x86_64, specifically.

> What commandline are you using to build?

cd /data/home/bguthro/dev/orc-newdev.git/linux/build/tools/tools/perf
&& make EXTRAVERSION=-orc

> Any exported environment variables that may be relevant?

none that I can think of.

> What dev libraries does perf warn is missing (Is libdw-dev among them)?

make[3]: Entering directory
`/data/home/bguthro/dev/orc-newdev.git/linux/build/tools/tools/perf'
Makefile:502: No libunwind found, disabling post unwind support.
Please install libunwind-dev[el] >= 0.99
Makefile:537: No libdw.h found or old libdw.h found or elfutils is
older than 0.138, disables dwarf support. Please install new
elfutils-devel/libdw-dev
Makefile:567: No libaudit.h found, disables 'trace' tool, please
install audit-libs-devel or libaudit-dev
Makefile:580: newt not found, disables TUI support. Please install
newt-devel or libnewt-dev
Makefile:752: No bfd.h/libbfd found, install
binutils-dev[el]/zlib-static to gain symbol demangling

Actually - I hadn't noticed these warnings before.

After installing libdw-dev - the perf build completed successfully.
Perhaps this should be fatal, rather than a warning?

Thanks for your help

Ben