Re: tg3 driver upgrade (Linux 2.6.32 -> 3.2) breaks IBM BladecenterSoL

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Tue Oct 02 2012 - 15:07:06 EST

On 02.10.2012 22:49, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> "Michael Chan" <mchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> These are the likely fixes:
>>
>> commit cf9ecf4b631f649a964fa611f1a5e8874f2a76db
>> Author: Matt Carlson <mcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Mon Nov 28 09:41:03 2011 +0000
>>
>> tg3: Fix TSO CAP for 5704 devs w / ASF enabled
>
> You are exactly right: cf9ecf4b fixed the premanent SoL breakage
> introduced by dabc5c67. Looks like ASF utilizes similar technology to
> that of the HS20 BMC. Thanks for the tip, it greatly reduced our CPU
> wear. :) It's a pity ethtool -k did not give a hint. Do you think it's
> possible to work around in 3.2 by eg. fiddling some ethtool setting?

Maybe it's better to push this commit to -stable instead? (the commit
that broke things is part of 3.0 kernel so all current 3.x -stable
kernels are affected)

(Besides, that commit "This patch fixes the problem by revisiting and
reevaluating the decision after tg3_get_eeprom_hw_cfg() is called." -
merely copies a somewhat "twisted" chunk of code into another place,
which does not look optimal)

Thanks,

/mjt