Re: [git pull] vfs, part 1

From: Al Viro
Date: Tue Oct 02 2012 - 22:56:35 EST

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 07:31:58PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is *not* all; fs/dcache.c bits will go separately, for one
> > thing - that's just the first pile. Please, pull from the usual place -
>
> Al, *please* describe what is going on. Your description is negative
> (what *doesn't* happen in this pull) and does not at all describe what
> is going on.

Umm... OK, but it won't be particulary pretty:
* big one - consolidation of descriptor-related logics; almost all
of that is moved to fs/file.c (BTW, I'm seriously tempted to rename the
result to fd.c. As it is, we have a situation when file_table.c is about
handling of struct file and file.c is about handling of descriptor tables;
the reasons are historical - file_table.c used to be about a static array
of struct file we used to have way back). A lot of stray ends got cleaned
up and converted to saner primitives, disgusting mess in android/binder.c
is still disgusting, but at least doesn't poke so much in descriptor table
guts anymore. A bunch of relatively minor races got fixed in process,
plus an ext4 struct file leak.
* related thing - fget_light() partially unuglified; see fdget()
in there (and yes, it generates the code as good as we used to have).
* also related - bits of Cyrill's procfs stuff that got entangled
into that work; _not_ all of it, just the initial move to fs/proc/fd.c
and switch of fdinfo to seq_file.
* Alex's fs/coredump.c spiltoff - the same story, had been easier to
take that commit than mess with conflicts. The rest is a separate pile, this
was just a mechanical code movement.
* a few misc patches all over the place. Not all for this cycle,
there'll be more (and quite a few currently sit in akpm's tree).