Re: Lockdep complains about commit 1331e7a1bb ("rcu: Remove _rcu_barrier()dependency on __stop_machine()")

From: Srivatsa S. Bhat
Date: Wed Oct 03 2012 - 04:13:02 EST

On 10/03/2012 01:13 PM, Jiri Kosina wrote:

>>> The problem is that there is a CPU-hotplug notifier for slab, which
>>> establishes hotplug->slab.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>>> Then having kmem_cache_destroy() call
>>> rcu_barrier() under the lock
>>
>> Ah, that's where I disagree. kmem_cache_destroy() *cannot* proceed at
>> this point in time, because it has invoked get_online_cpus()! It simply
>> cannot be running past that point in the presence of a running hotplug
>> notifier! So, kmem_cache_destroy() should have been sleeping on the
>> hotplug lock, waiting for the notifier to release it, no?
>
> Please look carefully at the scenario again. kmem_cache_destroy() calls
> get_online_cpus() before the hotplug notifier even starts. Hence it has no
> reason to block there (noone is holding hotplug lock).

Agreed.

> *Then* hotplug notifier fires up, succeeds obtaining hotplug lock,

Ah, that's the problem! The hotplug reader-writer synchronization is not just
via a simple mutex. Its a refcount underneath. If kmem_cache_destroy() incremented
the refcount, the hotplug-writer (cpu_up) will release the hotplug lock immediately
and try again. IOW, a hotplug-reader (kmem_cache_destroy()) and a hotplug-writer
(cpu_up) can *NEVER* run concurrently. If they do, we are totally screwed!

Take a look at the hotplug lock acquire function at the writer side:

static void cpu_hotplug_begin(void)
{
cpu_hotplug.active_writer = current;

for (;;) {
mutex_lock(&cpu_hotplug.lock);
if (likely(!cpu_hotplug.refcount)) <================ This one!
break;
__set_current_state(TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
mutex_unlock(&cpu_hotplug.lock);
schedule();
}
}

> kmem_cache_destroy() calls rcu_barrier in the meantime, and blocks itself
> on the hotplug lock there.
>
> Please note that the get_online_cpus() call in kmem_cache_destroy()
> doesn't play *any* role in this scenario.

Please consider my thoughts above. You'll see why I'm not convinced.

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat