Re: udev breakages -

From: Nix
Date: Sat Oct 06 2012 - 15:10:12 EST

On 5 Oct 2012, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh told this:

>> >And that would solve this very much worrying issue [1], quoting:
>> >"(Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case you
>> >haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we can drop
>> >that support entirely.)"
>> >
>> >[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
>>
>> I think it's worth noting that even though udev 189 was recently
>> released, the not-yet-released Ubuntu 10.10 is going to be including
>> udev 175.
>
> So is Debian.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't stick with 168, really. Even udev 175
requires a /usr mount in the initramfs, and devtmpfs (though the latter
is easy to replace). The former is probably a good idea anyway. The
latter... for any system other than the very largest, or embedded
systems that must boot in a second or less, I can't see a benefit.

--
NULL && (void)